Director of Care (Listowel)
About the Opportunity
Caressant Care is seeking a Director of Care to join our accomplished team of professionals at our 52 bed Long Term Care Home in Listowel, Ontario. As a Director of Care, you will contribute a high level of care for residents, and enhance their overall quality of life.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Care (DOC) supervises the nursing services in a home.
He/she assists in maintaining quality care and conforming to physician’s orders and nursing home and governmental policies. The DOC supervises and observes direct
resident care within the facility, and serves as the primary means of communication to the Executive Director regarding all aspects of nursing care in the home.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the implementation of the objectives, policies and procedures relating to the Nursing Department to ensure high standards of resident care on a daily basis.
- Oversees all medical and nursing documentation for adherence to applicable legislation for legibility, relevancy, currency and accuracy and initiates necessary action to maintain the same.
- Monitors these records on a regular basis ensuring they reflect the residents’ progress.
- Accepts responsibility for each admission regarding their transition, on-going care and their success of obtaining and maintaining their maximum level of independence.
- Ensures all necessary nursing and medical responsibilities are completed on schedule.
- With the Executive Director the Director of Care functions as liaison person between the Home and the resident and their families ensuring open communication.
- He/she reviews and investigates complaints.
- Monitors nursing staff as to competency, providing assistance and guidance as necessary.
- In conjunction with the Executive Director carries out disciplinary action when required.
- Reads, investigates and analyses all resident incidents. Initiates corrective action.
- Completes incident report summary and submits copy to Executive Director.
- Holds nurse aide and registered staff meetings, and in-service programs for the nursing department.
- Participates in the preparation and delivery of annual performance appraisals for the nursing department.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- May act as the Infection Control Officer of the facility.
- Shares “on call” responsibility as necessary with other administrative personnel.
- In exceptional circumstances, may be called upon to cover Registered Nurse shifts.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Current Ontario Registered Nurse certificate of competence.
- Minimum of three (3) years geriatric experience.
- Demonstrated leadership and administrative ability.
- Working knowledge of the Compliance Management Program.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
This is a full-time temporary position with the duration being August 9th, 2021 to June 9th, 2022.
Wage to commensurate with experience.
The successful candidate will require a current Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening.